How to Unlock Your YouTube Account When It Suddenly Gets Blocked
Have you ever felt very frustrated when your channel is deactivated and you have to urgently find ways to unlock your YouTube account?
So, you are a creator, having built yourself a loyal audience for a relatively long time. You have participated in the Youtube Partner Program (YPP) and your videos are appreciated and responded very well, the views have increased steadily.
You make good money from the monetization features available on Youtube and have long-term partnerships to incorporate when doing affiliate marketing.
But then you get a hit through an email message like: “…We’d like to inform you that due to repeated or severe violations of our Community Guidelines, your Youtube account ABC has been suspended.”
Now, what should you do in this situation before freaking out?
How does your YouTube account get locked?
Normally, for the Google account when it is locked, at this time you cannot sign in to your account to use Google services. Furthermore, as for Youtube in this case, when you try to log in to your account, you will be redirected to the Google error page, that you have violated something in the Community Guidelines.
In addition, you may also receive an email notification or via text message, at which point Google will notify you of your account being suspended.
Your channel or your Google Account has been hacked if you notice any of the following actions:
- Your YouTube or Google Account has some changes that did not come from you. For example, your profile picture has been replaced. The description has been rewritten with different content, affecting the channel’s target. The email settings, the sent messages, or the AdSense association all are different.
- Your YouTube channel has some videos that you do not know. Those videos can come from other people. They use your account to upload the videos. And you can be caught up with penalties or strikes against bad content for those videos.
Your locked account
Now, before panicking and immediately emailing YouTube and explaining your current situation, first and foremost, you should figure out why your YouTube is suspended.
The reasons why the channel is locked, monetization turned off, and getting flagged are many and they are all piled up. However, Youtube will only inform you of the reason that your content violates its terms of service, and that’s it.
In other words, you may have inadvertently violated policies related to copyright issues and the copyright owner decides to report your videos, or that your channel is kid-focused content but includes age-inappropriate content, etc.
In the past, there has been a lot of controversy and scandals about the widely popular vloggers on Youtube for violating policies and being blocked from the channel, along with heavy criticism from the Internet user community.
Most recently in 2020, YouTuber Jason Ethier (known as JayStation and ImJayStation to his 6 million subscribers across three channels) is closing out a turbulent two months by “taking a break” from YouTube, right after a video of him faking his girlfriend’s death in order to draw attention to their joint account.
Such incidents are almost similar to the one of now-infamous Logan Paul’s “suicide forest” in 2018. Although you are absolutely sure that you will not commit such serious mistakes, even illegal and unethical ones, such cases are very strict moves from YouTube, to protect a safe content creation environment and warn potential creators to violate the terms of service.
The reasons why your YouTube channel is locked
The following are the reasons for your Youtube account to be suspended, so you can check what you fall into.
#1. Malware, phishing, and other harmful activities. You will not be allowed to do the following:
– Send code, malware or unwanted user items
– Phishing, taking other people’s information, interfering with the Google system.
#2. Hacked or hacked into other users’ accounts
Without your permission, you log in and use someone else’s account, it’s a violation.
#3. Account abuse. You will not be allowed to:
– Create & use multiple accounts at the same time to violate Google’s policy
– Use automatic software to create multiple accounts
Particularly in case, you have a personal account, and a joint/brand account, this is allowed.
Google defines spam as that you will intentionally send unwanted content.
In the case of spam, they can relate to reviews, photos, emails, comments in general. So what you should do is to
– Limit running to much advertising content, doing commerce when there is no request from the user.
– Limit sending content to multiple users at once, and especially when you don’t know who they are
#5. Kid-related content abuse
Google will remove all content if it finds it affects children mentally and emotionally, sexual issues, and other inappropriate factors.
- Impersonating other people
- Terrorist content
- Call spam
- Use automatic texting or calls
- Violating the policy when using some of Youtube support tools in terms of making content and making money.
Due to all the criteria above, YouTube can disable your account at any time. Then, if you are making money from advertising on Youtube you’d better have a deep and careful understanding about the policies operating on the platform.
How to unlock your YouTube account
With locked accounts, you need to avoid and operate in accordance with the legal and use policy of Google. With an account being locked, all you need to do is find a way to recover it so you can quickly monetize again.
However, do not email back to YouTube, you should send an appeal.
Once your account gets locked, the first thing you need to do is fill in an appeal form asking Google to consider suspending your YouTube channel, which includes the following items:
- Your channel’s full name
- Email address 1 is the one where you create and manage the channel.
- Email address 2 is an email address where google can contact you (email 1 and 2 can be the same)
- The URL of the channel get suspended or the URL of the YouTube account is blocked.
- Appeal content: If your YouTube channel is locked due to an error, write the reason and submit it. However, before submitting your appeal, learn the cause and copyright policy of YouTube carefully.
After you file your appeal, you must wait for Google to review it. Google review team will consider carefully before making a decision to grant you the right to use it. As a result, there are 2 possible scenarios:
- If your Youtube account has no infringements, Google will reactivate it for you.
- If your channel violates the terms of service, it is very difficult to recover a locked YouTube account, forcing you to accept the permanent termination.
Secure your YouTube account
Even if your account is locked because of your actions or someone else hacked your account, you still need to secure it by these quick actions.
- Have a powerful password: Try to create a unique password, keep it safe, and never share your login information with anyone else.
- Regular security checkup is a need: It includes updating account recovery options, removing the suspicious connections from your account, turning on the verification, etc.
- Set up specific permissions on your channel: When you are a creator, you can manage others working with your channel, such as editors, viewers, or limited viewers.
- Check against unknown messages and content: You can control your personal information and data by avoiding suspicious requests, web pages, or spam.
The Google-owned Youtube is a very fastidious big platform and if you want to do business with this largest video-searching engine, you must follow the rules it sets out. If you break it, you will be denied access to any form of its monetization.
As a result, to really want to be a true YouTuber, you should be very serious about your career and try to create great, meaningful videos that attract real viewers, in addition to being well-educated to avoid suffering unforeseen consequences.
Your suspended YouTube account can rarely happen to you. But if unfortunately you encounter this situation and the appeal’s process is not going well, you need much better preparation.
The videos you make are a digital asset and are your work and time, so invest in a quality hard drive that regularly backs up videos in case this happens.
With that being said, AudienceGain is a Social Media Marketing company which dedicates to support content creators to develop and promote their videos, brands and products across social platforms, especially Youtube and Facebook.
Sign up to let us know if you have any questions about unlocking your Youtube account (in case it’s suspended) by leaving a comment right below.
Some problems you may be interested:
What is Google review? Google reviews allow customers to provide feedback on businesses and products. They are an important part of any business’s online presence,...